Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Malus sieversii is from Kazakhstan

The book "Apples Are From Kazakhstan" is pretty much standard reading for volunteers preparing to start their service in Kazakhstan. It's an interesting book, that is well read among volunteers because there is not much else available on this country.

The claim made by the title is now backed up with new scientific research that apples did originate from south Kazakhstan. Did you know that "alma" is the Kazakh word for apple? The city Almaty was formerly called "Alma Ata" which translates to "Father of Apples".

If you are really bored you can read the whole scientific article on nature.com. Send me a summary when you're done!

3 comments:

  1. Recently I saw on TV- about apples are from Kazakhstan. It is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sipra, my name is Jose and I live in Spain.

    Since last time you posted in this blog was in August 2011, I'd like to know if you are still in Kazakstan before posting you a letter.

    Regards,

    Jose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jose! Thanks for the thought. I'm not still in Kazakhstan (finished my service in August 2011). Where do you live in Spain?

    -Sipra

    ReplyDelete